- Natural cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup expeller pressed canola oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray an 8-inch loaf pan with natural cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, oil, applesauce, yogurt, sugar and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until well combined. Fold in zucchini and walnuts then transfer batter to prepared pan and bake until risen, deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.
Cool in pan on rack for 30 minutes then remove bread from pan and continue cooling on rack.