Work shift requirements
Being part of a CSA always requires you to donate some of your time. At a minimum, each full share requires two work shifts at the distributions (one shift for each half share). This is mandatory. If you doubt you can complete the work necessary to be a part of this group, you should rethink your membership in the CSA. Missing your work shift may jeopardize your membership with the PHCSA in the future.
Supporting the farm
The central principle of buying a share in a CSA is to support a farm through its growing season. We pay up front to give Windflower Farm the financial security they need to keep their farm viable. This means that we all profit in good seasons and share the loss among us in bad. Please recognize that there is always the possibility of getting smaller shares some weeks due to weather or crop failure.
Our distributions take place every Thursday from June through November from 4:30 – 7:30pm at PS 9 on St. Marks near Underhill. PS 9 has been extremely generous with their space and time over the years, which is why we need to be out of their hair promptly at 7:30 every Thursday. If you doubt that you’ll be able to get to PS 9 during this time period, please reconsider your membership in our CSA.
Community and Food Stamps
In the spirit of sharing the bounty, we have created a sliding payment scale so that everyone in our neighborhood can participate in the CSA. Those of us who are financially better off contribute a little more so that access to fresh food can be more than just the privilege of a select few.
All members agree to the following terms:
- I agree to join with our farmer in the risks of farming (crop failure, poor weather, etc.) and its bounties.
- I understand that my share will vary from week to week, generally consisting of 7-10 different vegetables that are in season, and that there is no guarantee on the exact amount or contents of my share. The shares will vary in weight and size depending on the time of season.
- I will pick up my share on Thursdays, 4:30pm – 7:30pm, at PS9 (entrance on St. Marks near Underhill).
- I understand that if I don’t pick up my share one week, my food will be donated to an emergency food provider in the neighborhood.
- I commit to supporting the CSA by completing one work shift per half share (one for a half share, two for a full share) at the distribution site over the course of the season. I agree to arrive on time and stay for the entire shift.
- I will pay either in full before the season starts, or with 3 installment checks dated 4/15, 5/15, and 6/15. The only exemption from this rule is if I participate in a food stamp/food assistance program.